A bit about your job
- Could you please tell us about your past experience in the scaffolding industry?
I started my career in the scaffolding industry at 17, within the oil and gas sector, where I undertook my part 2 scaffolding qualification. I stayed there for 7 years before moving to health and safety for a small SME and finally onto my current role at Simian as a Health and Safety Advisor.
- Can you describe a typical day at Simian Risk?
Every day at Simian is different, and that is exactly why I love my job; one day I could be working on a short course and the next I could be supporting a retained client on any number of health and safety matters, including RISQS accreditation, ISO management systems, risk assessments, method statements or even just writing and delivering toolbox talks.
- Is there one aspect of your work in particular that you most enjoy?
I am a massive people person, so the part of my job I enjoy the most is engaging with people, whether it be clients or trainees.
- What advice would you give those considering a career in the scaffolding industry?
A career in scaffolding is very rewarding, the money is great, you have the opportunity to work outside in all weathers and have fun with a great team, as well as the fact that you can travel the world and see places you wouldn’t in a normal job.
- In your opinion, what is the most important piece of guidance you give trainee scaffolders?
Look after yourself, particularly when it comes to manual handling duties. Ensure you are always working to industry guidance.
- Before working at Simian Risk, what was the most unusual or interesting job (scaffolder or other) you’ve ever had?
I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to work aboard the QE2 whilst it was docked at Portsmouth Naval Base.
A bit about you
- Aside from scaffolding, what would be your dream job?
After leaving school I began training to become a graphic designer, before joining the family business in scaffolding, my scaffolding career quickly progressed from there.
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- Favourite film?
- Favourite food?
- Have you ever had your 15 minutes of fame?
When I was younger, I was in a Vo5 television advert.