A bit about your job
- Could you please tell us about your past experience in the industry?
I started working a week after leaving school at a local boarding kennels. I worked for a work provider where I helped unemployed people into work, I realised I was very good at the job and it was very rewarding, unfortunately I was made redundant, An opportunity came up to work with apprentices in the construction industry, I worked with young people who wanted a career in the construction industry and I wanted to help them achieve their career goals, I joined Simian and I now promote and encourage people to join Simian scaffolding apprenticeships.
- Can you describe a typical day at Simian Risk?
Each day at Simian is different, one day I can be in the south visiting companies and signing up new Scaffolding apprentices. The next I am back up in the north organising open days and attending careers events and then the next day at our CISRS centre in Wales, organising Scaffolding Pre-employment training (PETS) courses.
- Is there one aspect of your work in particular that you most enjoy?
I enjoy signing up new scaffolding apprentices, who have never worked in the industry before, so they don’t know what to expect, it’s great to see their confidence grow as they progress through their apprenticeship.
- What advice would you give those considering a career in the scaffolding industry?
I have met a lot of very successful people in the scaffolding industry. It’s surprising how may doors having a scaffolding card can open!
- In your opinion, what is the most important piece of guidance you give trainee scaffolders?
Look after your mental health and talk about any issues you have, no matter how small or unimportant it might seem to other people.
- Before working at Simian, what was the most unusual or interesting job (scaffolder or other) you’ve ever had?
My unusual job was selling micro fibre cloths on the markets abroad, I had to quickly learn how to do the demonstrations in different languages.
A bit about you
- Aside from working in scaffolding, what would be your dream job?
I would love to open a doggy day care centre
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- Favourite film?
- Favourite food?
Greggs sausage roll
- Have you ever had your 15 minutes of fame?
I was interviewed for a news piece on Granada reports.